03  ¦ Positioning in writing

A selection of manifestos, some from before 1910;

Der Hessische Landbote (Georg Büchner, 1834)

"Friede den Hütten, Krieg den Palästen" ("Peace to the huts! War on the palaces!")
Der Hessische Landbote (The Hessian Courier) is a pamphlet published by the german author Georg Büchner. Along with biblical references, as to whether the peasant had been created on the fifth not the sixth day according to biblical creation, it represents a general rejection of the god given rights of the german princes. One conterally interesting element, besides the actually nearly populist partially untrue rhetoric used (we maybe also should?) is the first part, which details how the pamphlet should preserved and distributed without the police finding it. Not deep but; I Find it interesting how that has become an introduction or even an argument for far right positions atm.


Ornament und Verbrechen (Adolf Loos, 1908)



L'arte dei Rumore (Luigi Russolo. 1913)



Who are you?

I am an amalgamation of cells based on carbon and self-replicating information, capable of experiencing a concept of existence and self. Fundamentally, this involves a certain degree of separation between the categories of “I” and “other”. These boundaries can be fluid. It implies a degree of efficacy upon myself and my surroundings.
To myself as an observer this appears as a state of will, an urge to control, alter and create.
I can see myself as a moiré pattern emergent from biological structure.

This “being” acts as a node and force within a greater not of comparable organisms. This net imbibes urges towards a deeper involvement – acceptance- and towards fewer connections – freedom, independence.

What is your ambition as a designer?

All comes down to this will to create. This is an aspect of egoism, certainly

I want to show different perspectives. Not just show but make them tangible. Make people see the world as potential. Scratch at the established as an aim upon itself. Be a spark of chaos. Essentially see changes I made (ok, I will also have to earn some money etc.)
The idea is to look at all that surrounds us on a daily basis and to make our interactions with them either fluid and efficient or meaningful. I can imagine working in a corporative environment, at least part time and spend the rest of my time making lights, sounds, objects, theatre…

I kind of feel like I am in a moratorium on self-definition, which slowly but surely needs to be broken.

 

Pick a topic of interest and what you think no one ever heard before.

Spontaneously: I have been thinking of representations of self…

There is more truth in the mask we wear, in the game we play, the fiction we obey and follow, than in what is concealed beneath the mask. – Slavoj Zizek

When one presents oneself as as in a profile, a name, a picture. Mostly this is boring, and should be what enables the opposite to see one as a subject. However, is this not mainly what makes them see you as an object. Now, especially in digital spaces, surely there is a way to enact more convoluted ways of identities clashing. Action meeting action, desire meeting desire… Not Anonymity, not profile based. I kind of like the term digital ego death.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fear

Observation

02 ¦ In formation